I found this amazing recipe while I was eating a raw food only diet. The one I made recently was totally vegan, I used carob powder, and it went perfectly with the strawberries and raspberries I had bought that day at Borough Market in London.
This is such a simple recipe but does require a food processor – or a large pestle and mortar if you’re feeling up for a bit of a workout.
This is from an American recipe so once again I’m doing the measurements in cups – for a conversion of cups to grams check out this site.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup, agave or honey (for non-vegan version)
- 1/4 cup of carob powder or cocoa powder
- Handful of dried dates (approx 8 – 10)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Cup water
- Soak the dates in a shallow bowl with just enough boiling water to cover them. Leave to one side.
- Scoop out and de-stone the avocados and pop them into the food processor or pestle and mortar bowl if that’s what your using.
- Add the carob powder, maple syrup/agave/honey, vanilla essence and cup of water in with the avocados.
- Add in the soaked dates including water.
- Blend it all up.
- Adjust to taste – add more maple syrup, vanilla and carob as you prefer.